Tuesday, February 12, 2008

i'm a font whore.

Csilla has been sick with a bad cough & cold, which I promptly caught too, so there's not a whole lot of clear thinking going on in my head. You've been warned.

This probably isn't the best time to be posting long musings about things that could come back to haunt me one day.

So. For the last couple of nights after Csilla has gone bed I've been playing around with Photoshop instead of writing.

It's interesting how my artsy-play-around-with-fonts-and-brushes side of the brain works fine through a head cold, but the part of my brain that needs to find words and form sentences is really struggling.

Here’s a little image I whipped up in Photoshop featuring all of my favourite fonts right now. I have about a million saved on my computer, but these are some of the ones I return to time and time again. Click to see it bigger:

In my opinion, you can never have too many fonts. I use them mostly for cardmaking and scrapbooking, but my husband has been known to receive silly little notes about the grocery list in a funky font occasionally too.

All of these fonts were downloaded free from the bestest, most awesomest font site on the internet: dafont.com. (Yes, I used the words bestest and awesomest. I’m sick. You were warned.)

An awesome feature at dafont.com is the “custom preview” where you can type in a sample word or sentence and then see your word or sentence appear in all the different fonts.

They also have the fonts divided up by categories like: sans serif, serif, cartoon, handwritten and graffiti (if you’re so inclined, yuck). It’s very convenient if you have an idea of what you’re looking for, plus it’s easy to download and install.

By the way, if you’ve always wondered but were afraid to ask, a serif font has those little hooky bits on the end of the letters (like Apple Garamond above) and a sans serif font is without the little hooky bits (like Lane Narrow above).

Anyway. My brain is starting to melt. Must go to bed.


5 comments:

buzz bishop said...

yay fonts!

i have been arial and arial black man for 12 years. cant.bear.to.change.

i love other these ones you've posted and i want to try them and that site... but arial is my girl.

The Rotten Correspondent said...

Very interesting. I've been wondering how you make your blog look so...well, fabulous, and now I have part of the answer.

But how do you get them to the blog? I'm such a techno moron.

I'm off to dafont, though. Wish me luck.

And feel better!

Carolyn said...

Buzz - nothing wrong with a good, classic sans serif font like Arial. It's popular for a reason. It works because you've followed an important graphic design principle with your sites. Repetition. If you're going to do the same font, do it exactly the same and do it consistently. The mistake people make is they do things close, but sort of different. Don't do this. It lacks tension and excitment. It also creates visual confusion. There's a bit of a 'go big or go home' rule with fonts. Either make it dramatically different or do it exactly the same, but don't go somewhere in between. Think very big vs. very small. Think script vs. sans serif. Contrast is king. Strong visual contrast creates visual tension, which is good. Keeping everthing the same, like you've done, is a good way to go for a sleek, streamlined feel. Plus, in your Blog According to Buzz title, it's great because the title is large, but the desciption is very small. Perfect.

Here's an exception: on my blog, all of the fonts are Trebuchet, except for the sidebar titles & post dates, which are Verdana. Normally I wouldn't use Trebuchet and Verdana together because they're almost exactly the same. However, the main difference between them is that Verdana is wider. You can't really tell the other differences in CAPS, so it doesn't matter, but I like the wider feel for titles.

Too much information? Sorry, but I LOVE fonts and graphic design!

Carolyn said...

Rotten - the little gathering of fonts I put in my blog is actually a jpeg image that I created in Photoshop and then uploaded just like you would a photo. Blogger doesn't give you very many font options otherwise. This is probably a good thing, because if they gave people too many choices, everybody's blog would look like unreadable chaos!!

If you wanted a new image designed for your header, I could try and whip something up for you. I'm a total amateur, but I love it. Feel free to email me at laughingaloneinthedark at gmail dot com if you want to trade some thoughts.

And thanks, we're all feeling a bit better today and the sky is blue, so it's all good!

Kimberly said...

Oooo...thanks for the link! I've always wanted to play with funky fonts.

Hope you guys are well on your way to feeling better.