Tuesday, March 11, 2008

apparently it's called a typeface, not a font, thank you very much.

Thanks to Buzz for pointing out a post about typeface on swissmiss. There's always a lot of new stuff on her blog, so without Buzz I might have missed it. Apparently Typographica.org has just announced their favourite typefaces of 2007. Yippee.

Yummy eye candy for a font whore like me.

If you have any interest in graphic design or typefaces (aka fonts) be sure to check out the post. There's also a nice little explanation of the difference between a typeface and a font. A font is a collection of letters, whereas a typeface is the design - the overall feel and effect - of that collection of letters. Huh?

Whatever you want to call it, here are just a few of the winners:

Mmmmmm eye candy.

While I'm on the typeface tangent, check out these awesome alphabet blocks. For a cool $100 your kid can have the funkiest wooden building blocks on the planet. Buy them at House Industries if you're wealthy and stylish.


I can't believe Csilla didn't get any of these for her birthday!

5 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my....those blogs are TO.DIE.FOR!!!!!!!

Kimberly said...

I want those blocks.

Like.

A lot.

Stephen said...

Thanks for visiting Typographica. A font is just a physical container for a set of letters. Here's an easy way to think of the difference:

When you really like a song, you normally say "I am so totally in love with that song" rather than "I am so totally in love with that MP3."

When talking about the shapes and designs of letters, you're talking about a typeface. When talking about the actual file that carries that typeface, you say "font".

Clear as mud?

Jan said...

Those blocks are so colorful and look like something you would actually want to play with. Csilla does need them and I think you do to.

the mother of this lot said...

I ADORE fonts...or typefaces, or whatever they're calling them now. There must be 300 of them on my computer.

Probably accounts for why it's so slow...