Thursday, April 24, 2008

the invitation.

I'm sorry my blog has been so lame lately. I miss my mommy-angst rants almost as much as you do. I've got a lot to talk about, but no time right now as I continue to work on the graphic design project I'm doing for a friend. And, the weather has actually been nice lately so we've been enjoying that too.

I'm working on a meme right now (that hopefully I'll post today or tomorrow) and while I was writing it, I remembered a beautiful poem by Oriah Mountain Dreamer because it really speaks to what I aspire to find in a friend, in myself and in a great blog (or meme), so I thought I'd share it with you now.

Enjoy!


The Invitation

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love,
for your dream,
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon.
I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow,
if you have been opened by life's betrayals or
have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain,
mine or your own,
without moving to hide it
or fade it
or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy,
mine or your own;
if you can dance with wildness
and let ecstasy fill you
to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us to
be careful,
be realistic,
to remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true.
I want to know if you can
disappoint another
to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
I want to know if you can be faithless
and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty
even when it is not pretty every day.
And if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure,
yours and mine,
and still stand on the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!”

It doesn't interest me
to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after the night of grief and despair,
weary and bruised to the bone,
and do what needs to be done
to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you are
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the center of the fire
with me
and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you
from the inside
when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone
with yourself
and if you truly like the company you keep
in the empty moments.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer


6 comments:

Jan said...

Loved it. Pure. It would be a better world if we invited that spirit into each ones heart.
I liked the last verse too.
I will reread this one often. Enjoy your time.

Kimberly said...

That is so beautiful...thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Good luck with your project!

Kaycie said...

What wonderful sentiments. Don't you wish we all thought about each other in this way? I think the world would be a much nicer, less shallow place.

Corey~living and loving said...

I am currently missing you a TON. I don't like you being busy and having a life. sigh.....poor me.

CrazyCath said...

Hi Carolyn - just catching up.
This is a great post and i think i might use it to answer the questions that it asks and get deep and meaningful!
When i can type properly and QUICKLY again that is. :(

KAREN said...

I want to know all that too, but I like knowing the little things as well - for me they're part of the bigger picture. I mean, someone's job could tell you a lot about that person!