Thursday, April 17, 2008

more about bpa. it's not just the baby bottles!

For those of you who don't necessarily visit my friend Buzz's blog on a regular basis, I thought I'd give you the head's up that he wrote another post about BPA (Bispehenol A).

I'd also like to point out that although the talk of BPAs usually focuses on baby bottles, you should know that many of the things made of plastic that you use every day contain BPAs.

Those items numbered 3, 6 and 7 inside the recycle symbol are the worst. If there is no number then assume it's bad! The harmful chemicals that plastic is made of can leach into your food, especially when heated either through contact with a hot food or beverage, or by warming it up in the microwave. This includes plastic wraps and plastic bags and frozen dinner trays. You should never heat plastic and then consume food that has touched it. Many companies advertise the convenience of their containers being microwaveable, but don't believe the hype!! It's not good for you. Just don't do it.

Here's an alternative for the microwave - instead of using plastic wrap or some kind of plastic lid to prevent nasty explosions, Balazs and I put another plate on top our food. No waste, no plastic, works every time. We started doing this when I was pregnant with Csilla and decided to get serious about what was going into my body. What a shame that I had to be pregnant before I got myself informed about stuff like this!

I noticed a comment on Buzz's blog that pointed out the lack of options parents have for sending snacks to school. I agree. I've been searching for stainless steel containers to put Csilla's snacks in since the day she was born. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places, but I have yet to find anything suitable for a handful of raisins or a sliced up apple. For now, I'm using #5 plastic containers and Glad brand ziplock bags. I believe that Glad is the only company with ziplock bags made out of #5 plastic. Don't quote me on that, I could be wrong. I have read that #5 is the "safest" plastic, with the least amount of leeching into food, but I use the term "safest" very loosely. Ideally we would have no contact whatsoever with plastic of any number. It's just not good for our bodies. Either way, that's what I'm using for now. I never heat them and I throw them away as soon as they start to break down.

I hope some savvy manufacturer figures out the demand for plastic-free containers for kids and starts making snack containers out of stainless steel soon. My mom actually suggested that I just do it myself, but I figure someone is already way ahead of me and will probably have them on the shelves before I even get past step one. Let's hope so.

I've known about the plastic problems for a while, but today I actually ransacked my kitchen and threw a bunch of my plastic cups in the garbage. Thanks for getting me fired up enough to take some action, Buzz. Some of this stuff is so bad that it can't even be recycled. Sorry landfills! Eeek.

On another note, there are many suppliments you can take that help break down toxic substances and flush them out of your body. This means it's not too late. Even if you've been exposed to plastics, you can help set your body straight. Chlorella is especially good for this. Csilla is even willing to chew a Chlorella pill. It's disgusting, but she does it anyway. My kid is strange.

Obviously I'm not a trained professional, so here's the disclaimer - put Chlorella in your mouth at your own risk. Notice the wording up there? I didn't tell you to do it.

Anyway, I really should be in bed, but this whole BPA thing has me fired up. Thanks for listening... now go clean out your kitchen. Down with plastic!

Thanks again Buzz.

(ps - My little graphic design project is going well. Thanks for all the well wishes. You guys are awesome!!)

3 comments:

Jan said...

I have always believed this. I do not use plastic in the microwaves either. Chlorella is something I totally love. Wheatgrass around the house also draws out toxins as well as the juice for the body. Its a cheaper version and it is very good. Thanks buzz for the buzz and also Carolyn for this important post.

Corey~living and loving said...

okay....so I posted about this. I am guessing it is time to get my head out of the sand, huh?

Jen said...

I've never heard anything like this. Wow, I have tons of plastic! I'll have to do some garbage duty today!