Monday, May 19, 2008

punk rock mommy rocks.

I haven't had the chance to post much this weekend. We've been busy cleaning decks, attending birthday parties and eating cheese. I thought about writing some silly post about how I was too busy being The Best Mommy to win any awards for being The Best Mommy Blogger, but I'll tell you what. I'm not going to write that post because that post was going to be filled with all sorts of Vote for Me crap in order to win a prizeless priceless award that would only serve the purpose of boosting my fragile ego.

Instead of not going writing that post, I'm going to write this post:

I've had the chance to check out some of my competition for the Best of Blogs award and quite frankly, I don't want to win the Best Mommy Blog award. I don't like how dirty I feel promoting myself because all of the other mommy bloggers are fantastic and I'd be proud to "lose" to any of them.

In particular, I would like to draw your attention to one of my fellow Top 10 Best Mommy Blog finalists - Andrea Collins Smith's Great Cancer Swindle blog called Punk Rock Mommy. The purpose of the site, in the words of Andrea's friends and family, is to "... follow Andrea’s story as she continues to be a wife and mother of six while battling Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). We hope that this story will inform, inspire and encourage the so many people who know (or want to know) Andrea and her family. We are all in this together. Peace to you."

I won't even say something stupid and insensitive like "how can I compete with that" because this is definitely not about competition. On Andrea's blog you will find hope and courage and strength and beauty and humour. On mine you will find nonsense. I haven't had the chance to explore Andrea's blog too deeply yet, but the tattoos and the punk rock attitude make me pretty sure she's the type of gal who faces her cancer awfulness by kicking ass and taking names. And quite frankly, it makes my angsty mommy whining make me feel like a complete jerk. I'm not sure I would be so strong in the face of something so heart wrenchingly difficult. But instead of beating myself up about it, I like to throw some love and support towards a courageous woman who is, like so many women, battling to save her own life while still trying to raise and support children of her own.

Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes and reminds me how important it is to be grateful for everything I have been blessed with in my life, including my health. I admire Andrea, and other women like her, immensely.

So instead of voting for me over at the Best of Blogs, please throw your votes Andrea's way. I say this with no disrespect towards the other finalists in this category. You're all wonderful too, but Andrea's story has touched my heart. Plus, I promise Csilla won't cry if I don't win.

Furthermore, please stop by Punk Rock Mommy and send her all the love and support you possibly can and please keep Andrea and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, eh. Much love,

Carolyn


13 comments:

the mother of this lot said...

What a beautiful post Carolyn. I wish I could vote for boh of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Carolyn...I think that is so sweet and kind. Honestly, I did not even know what a blog was a year ago. I was too busy keeping up with school and my kids to sit in front of the computer. And then at the age of 37 my world came crashing down with the words "stage 4 cancer". I write about the journey because it seems to help me and my loved ones understand what is happening. But as moms writing ANYTHING helps us understand how far we have come and how parenting impacts us. I am thankful for your support and kindness. All my love, Andrea Punk rock mommy

GoneBackSouth said...

Have been over - thanks for the tip. She's amazing eh?

Kaycie said...

Carolyn, I love your blog just the way it is.

On my way to visit Andrea. What a nice comment you got from her.

Jan said...

That is an awfully thoughtful thing to say and suggest. I think she really has found such support in that.

Thanks for the link and I will check out this awesome lady for sure.

Daryl said...

You were pretty much special in my eyes before this post but now ... well .. you rock!

:-Daryl

Kimberly said...

Beautiful tribute, Carolyn, just beautiful!

Jennifer H said...

I read this yesterday, but clicked off to her site and forgot to come back here and comment.

You are a good soul, and it was so good of you to shine a light on someone who could use it. Big hug.

I'm with Daryl on this: You rock.

aims said...

Yup - you are special! and kind! and you do indeed rock!

San said...

Beautifully written, unselfish post, Carolyn. Thank you for referring us to another outstanding blog. I look forward to visiting it.

BUT your own blog is far from nonsense. I'm kind of new to it and I haven't noticed that much whining, but a little whining is good for the soul. And reading a little whining from another can be good for the soul too. Whine not?

Corey~living and loving said...

You are such a lovely person! I'm blessed to "know" you! :)

Suzanne said...

you are incredibly generous always, but I still had to vote for you becauze you are so incredibly generous and write really interesting posts.

Suzanne said...

I'm just back from Andrea's blog...wow, what a courageous and beautiful woman. Thank you for sharing a shout out to her blog.