Thursday, May 1, 2008

stop. signs. redux.

To the lady who gave me the "what the eff are you doing?" hand gesture after you almost hit my kid with your car today. I'm sorry. It was my fault that she ran out into the road in front of your car - okay, you were like, 6 car lengths away and driving slowly - but still... I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention and my kid is a space cadet. As if I didn't feel stupid enough for the dirty look you shot me, the insulting Italian hand gesture made me feel worse. And don't worry. I got punished enough for not paying attention because my kid cried inconsolably for 15 minutes afterwards because I "hurt her feelings" for yelling "Stop!" so loudly.

To the lady who I almost plowed into with my car at the stop sign today. I'm sorry too. I had just finished blowing about two pounds of snot out of my nose and felt a little lightheaded. I probably should have pulled over, but instead I proceeded to steal your turn at the four way stop. The fact that yours was the second dirty look someone had shot me in less than one hour almost reduced me to tears. Thanks for that, but give me a break. My kid wouldn't stop talking about grocery carts and my head felt like it was going to explode.

As I type, I'm considering how ironic it would have been if I'd actually connected with the lady at the stop sign considering my last post.

Talk about Hammertime.


13 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my heavens....things really could have been bad today for you. Glad they were just looks of disgust for the "almost" and not looks of blame for the "just happened"

hugs!

Jan said...

I hate situations like that. If I would have been the driver that almost hit a child, I would be stopping a asking for forgiveness and feeling awful. What a different reaction from what I feel would be right.
Hang in there Carolyn, people are generally good.

Kaycie said...

People who don't understand that children have the right of way when they wander into the street --NO MATTER WHAT -- should have their drivers license revoked. Ugh. Poor Csilla. Poor you.

Be careful, sweetie.

Kimberly said...

Oh owie, hun! Hope your poor wee head feels better soonly.

Funny how much a dirty look from a complete strange who knows -nothing- about us can get under our skin, eh?

ped crossing said...

The only place one does not need to watch for children is on the freeway.

Hope tomorrow is better!

Aline said...

So glad that nothing bad happened! I am also often wondering how much a dirty look of total strangers can get under my skin.

Hope you feel better! :)

Tammy said...

C'mon...we have all had days like that. Inevitably it happens and it will happen again. When those days hit I feel like I should have a neon sign over the top of my head that says: "Mother of the Year!" But in the end, the kids are tucked in nice and safe from the outside world.

aims said...

I'm with Jan - Everything says watch out for children when you are driving...no ifs ands or buts about it!

Pffft on those two! Everyone is not perfect!

Potty Mummy said...

You should try living in London. Dirty looks count as friendly conversation in certain parts of town!

:-Daryl said...

sounding a bit hormonal ... I'm just sayin'

:-Daryl

Jennifer H said...

Even if you hit that other car, you would have gotten off on the My Kid Was Yammering On About Grocery Carts defense. If you use that defense, they don't even give you a fine, I've heard. :-)

Hang in there.

Retiredandcrazy said...

I was driving past cars parked outside a school, cursing them all under my breath for taking up precious space in the narrow street, when I realised they were not waiting outside a school at all, they were waiting at traffic lights! Woops!

I had to do a nifty move to avoid the traffic that came thundering towards me when the lights changed. One tosser wouldn't let me pull over and started tooting and gesturing at me.

What makes these idiots so perfect? I was about to leap out of my car and give him a piece of my mind when the lights changed again and he took off. Coward!!

CrazyCath said...

It is so brave to make a gesture when you are driving and the one you aim it at is on foot...

Cretins.