Monday, May 5, 2008

flower time?

Today was such a beautiful day that I decided to join the fun again this week with another PhotoHunt. When I read the theme was Time, I knew I needed to head to the seawall in West Vancouver and take photos of the floral clock. I was a bit disappointed when I got there because they haven't planted it yet this year. Everywhere you see dirt around the clock there should be flowers, but I guess because of the late spring this year the municipality is a bit slow to plant. Either way, it was a gorgeous day and I had fun practicing my photography skills.

Right now I'm learning about aperature priority and depth of field. My dad is an excellent instructor, and he's been walking me through the techniques. I'm having so much fun because some of the stuff he's been telling me for months is finally starting to sink in. Yippee!

Anyway, enjoy the snaps...











Thanks for looking!

14 comments:

Jan said...

Oh my goodness. Can you dad teach me too. That was beautiful Carolyn. Is that close by you? I love how it is a clock. Does it actually keep time? I am loving these photo huntings. They make me smile so.

Jennifer H said...

Such beautiful photos. Your Dad gives great photography lessons. Wish someone would teach me!

What kind of camera do you use?

Carolyn said...

Jan - The clock is about 10 minutes from where we live. The clock actually tells time. Unintentionally I took the photos today exactly at noon, so it may look like the hands are always at 12, but they move and keep perfect time. There's an electric clock work system under ground that makes it work. I'd actually heard somewhere that it runs by the waves of the ocean, which is just a few feet away, but that could be an urban legend because I couldn't find any information about it at the clock or on the internet.

Jennifer - My Dad is very patient with me. I'm a very slow learner when it comes to understanding F-stops and aperture and all that technical stuff. My Dad gave me his old Nikon D70s Digital SLR for my birthday, so that's what I use. For these photos I had on an 18-70mm lens.

Thanks for your compliments ladies. I'm a new student of photography, but I'm enjoying learning!

Kaycie said...

Those are great pictures. I think you're a great student.

Tammy said...

Incredible photos Carolyn!!!!!!! I am jealous. Such great angles!!!

Jules said...

Oooo... pretty. And where was your little one hiding while you were out? Or was she with you?

Jen said...

These are gorgeous shots. You don't look like you are a slow learner to me. I am still no good at all with the aperture and shutter speed, ISO, etc etc. I get them all confused and end up using the wrong setting for the specific photo I am taking. One day I may learn, ONE DAY! Great photos!

Corey~living and loving said...

WOW girl! these are stunning. I love the one of that features the number 3. wonderful! You rocked it. I do hope you post pics of it when it is planted. :)

Have a great day tomorrow.

softinthehead said...

What a gorgeous colour those tulips are - lovely shots Carolyn - lovely spot.

Carin said...

Hey I love tulips and that floral clock is just wonderful even though it hasn't been fully planted yet.
Great entry!

:-Daryl said...

Great and interesting angles! Neat pix. :-Daryl

Kimberly said...

Lovely! You have such a good eye!

Maggie May said...

That is so very beautiful! well done!

philos said...

Wow I wish I can see those too... well, I sort of have now, thanks Carolyn! Beautiful pics! :)