Friday, June 6, 2008

photostory friday. it's new!

I am loving photography right now. And guess what? I think it shows because just two days ago I received an invitation from MamaGeek to join a new weekly post called Photostory Friday. In her email, Mama Geek wrote the sentence, "You're so talented, you'd be perfect for it!" Well knock me over with a feather. I am so flattered. Yes! Of course I'll participate. Seeing as how I'm very new to photography, for anyone to say I'm talented is extremely flattering.

And that's the thing... ever since posting more and more photos on my blog, people have been incredibly complimentary. It's wonderful. Especially coming from other amazing photographers like MamaGeek, Corey, Jenty, Angella, JC, David and a few others (I'm sorry if I'm forgetting you at this exact moment). This whole blogging thing is so awesomely supportive! I love it.

I swear Mama Geek created Photostory Friday just for me because there is almost no way in hell I can post a photo and not write a story to go with it. Have you ever noticed that I never post for "Wordless Wednesday"?

Wordless? Are you kidding? A complete impossibility for me. I like stories. So here goes. My first Photostory Friday post:


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Every Wednesday Bendy Linda and I drop off our girls at preschool and walk to a nearby deli that makes the best sandwiches you could ever imagine. As luck would have it, I had my camera on hand this week and couldn't resist taking a photo of sandwich perfection:

The bread is a fresh baked baguette that is not too crunchy and not too soft. Delicious. Inside the bread is a wonderful concoction of marinated eggplant, roasted red peppers, edam cheese, tomatoes, roast chicken, lettuce and a little bit of mayo that mixes all perfect and drippy with the marinade of the veggies. I don't know how to describe the marinade, but it's got a Mediterranean vibe that is oh-so delicious!

Along with the sandwich, Linda and I always get a hot chocolate at Delaney's. I used to be a hard-core Starbucks hot chocolate aficionado, but Delaney's puts chocolate whipped cream on their hot chocolate... so bye-bye Starbucks and hello Delaney's! Chocolate on top of chocolate? Are you kidding me? It's almost better than sex!


Sorry I don't have a photo of the chocolate whipped cream, but I ate it before I hauled out the camera. I just couldn't wait!

While Linda and I were noshing on our yummy food, this little cutie stopped by to say hello. And for the record, that's not some of my sandwich in the little guy's mouth. I wouldn't share my sandwich. No way! He found a piece of somebody's muffin on the ground instead.

And finally, while Linda and I were walking back to preschool to pick up our girls I walked by the window of the local butcher and snapped this photo:


I just love the way the tin cans are always stacked up so neatly in this window. It's almost like art to me - all graphic and colourful. I love it. Does that make me weird?

And that was my first Photostory Friday post. Hope you enjoyed having lunch with me. Thanks for inviting me MamaGeek!!

One other thing. Today is Friday, which means another weekly food tradition for me. Balazs will be bringing home sushi tonight. Yum!! Perhaps I'll have to bust out my camera at dinner and show you some of the best sushi I've ever had.

Now tell me... do you have any favourite food routines that you look forward to each week?

19 comments:

Jan said...

I love foody pictures. Just love them. I think that the cans are art. That is looking at something differently to see the beauty of how it is just being. Love that too.

I am so thrilled that you are going crazy with the picture taking and I am glad that you are getting noticed. Keep on clicking and yes I want to see the sushi. I just took a picture of what Ed is cooking for tonight. Maybe I will post it just for you.

Hugs and have a great evening with hubby and Csilla.

Cecily R said...

I'm so glad you are playing PSF with us!

I am the same way about photography. I always want to talk about it, so I rarely pull off a Wordless Wednesday.

Your photos are wonderful!!

MamaGeek said...

Your photos are stock quality worthy. FOR REAL. Have you ever considered submitting them to stock photography?

These were beautiful and the food made me a wee bit hungry so I say well done!

I'm so glad you joined the PSF fun (the Wordy Friday), you are another natural.

carrie & troy keiser said...

The little birdy is so cute... sharing lunchtime with you. This is a fun idea glad they came up with it.

Corey~living and loving said...

What a great entry Carolyn. You have a wonderful eye for sure. :) I love it. :) thank you for sharing a piece of your world. :)

Kimberly said...

I am hungry now. Thank heaven I read this at lunch time. Lovely shots!

Jennifer H said...

No food routines here, but that sandwich looks delicious. Now I have to take my kids out to lunch so we can have something yummier than whatever is in the house right now.

Congratulations on the invitation to join that group! It's well-deserved.

April said...

MMmm...that sandwich looked heavenly! I love eggplant! (and the birdie was very cute, too!)

Jenty said...

Hee hee! What a stunning post, and thanks for the mention :)
I like the idea around PSF, and like you I really struggle with wordless photos!

Nervus Rex said...

I'm so glad that you've started this tradition, Carolyn! I love your pictures and stories :)

Food traditions... life is a little hectic around here as a single parent, 4 kids, and shift work... but I during the warm weather, I always have a pitcher of effervescent passion iced tea with fresh spearmint leaves on hand. Fresssssssh.

i am here to help said...

I never can wait to eat the cream either. Yum. :)

david mcmahon said...

Hi Carolyn,

Hope you enjoy your sushi. Yes, I agree with Mama Geek - you are so talented that this theme (Photo Story Friday) is certainly perfect for you.

Well done - I particularly like the second shot because the angle is great.

Have a great weekend and do keep in touch ....

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

I love your post. I love the way that you take us along with you. Oh and did you know Starbuck's started with chocolate whip now?? I saw it this evening on my Target trip and decided to try it. It was yummy yummy! Just sayin'. ;)

Suzanne said...

ah, I loved that picture of the sandwich...I love sandwiches but never seem to be able to replicate them at home.

and that picture of the bird is just lovely!

LingoVise Says... said...

These are terrific, terrific, terrific (name that film)! Love the stacked cans and the bird.

But the cocoa! I'm a huge cocoa fanatic. Starbucks order: Tall Hot Cocoa Tuxedo (half dark, half white chocolates) Breve with Whip. Now, come on Chocolate Whip! I'm so completely jealous! OOOooohhhh!

Jen said...

What fun! I felt like I was right there along with you. . . and the picture of the sandwich along with the description? Sheesh, now I'm hungry!

Daryl said...

I want that samich ... and I dont even eat chicken!

My new food obsession, which I am munching now as I type, is edamame .. ohmy .. I have always loved it but lately its a MUST have ..

:-Daryl

JC said...

There is nothing like a good deli shop... I wish there were more of them to replace some of the plenty fast food joints. Your sandwich actually made my stomach growl!

Great series of shots... and thanks for the mention, though you do great standing on your own :-)

CrazyCath said...

That is an excellent photostory. You do have an eye for symmetry too - reminds me of David's photography. Excellent stuff. The sandwich has my mouth watering with your description and that photo!