Friday, June 13, 2008

splashin'.

Hey you all! Thanks for all the wonderfully helpful comments left on my last post. Having a really big rant has helped me to feel at least a little bit better and I'm only half as grumpy as I was two days ago. The weather is still horrible and my mother just informed me that this is officially the coldest June in Vancouver on record. The Coldest Ever. I knew I wasn't just imagining things. Apparently the sun was out for about five minutes this morning at 6:30am. Damn. I missed it. But I shouldn't complain. I should try to remember what Csilla told me the other day when I said I was mad about the weather.

She said, "That's silly Mama! You can't be mad at the weather. It's not even a person!"

So. Okay. Let me get this straight. I can't be mad at the weather, but it's okay to be mad at people. We sure are doing a great job of raising this kid. Yup.

And now for something more fun than complaining about the weather. Photostory Friday:


Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

On Wednesday it was pouring rain (what's new), so I bundled up Csilla in rain gear and let her go nuts in a few puddles. I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, eh?

I've been trying to learn how to stop motion with my camera. Splashing water is perfect for practicing with and Csilla was only too happy to oblige. At first when I told her to jump higher and splash more she was a little cautious. I'm usually telling her to try and stay dry so she doesn't get too cold. But this time I told her to go nuts. She had a blast splashing about. We both got completely soaked. I literally poured the water out of her boots when we were finished. Despite the freezing rain, we both had fun and I got a few shots I liked; including this one (click to enlarge):

For those of you interested in the photography side of this - I shot it with my Nikon D70s. I had on my brother's 85mm F/1.8 lens. Shutter speed was set to 1/2500, Aperture F/1.8 and ISO 450. I also had on my handy-dandy rain sleeve to keep the camera dry. Click here to see what a rain sleeve is. I highly recommend one of these for shooting in the rain.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I've got a busy weekend ahead of me, but I'm hoping to catch up on a least a few of your blogs. Don't be surprised if several comments roll in from me around midnight on Saturday. Hope you all have a wonderful SUNNY weekend!

20 comments:

Maggie May said...

These are brilliant pictures. The splashing puddle one is great! I am getting interested in photography and until a couple of months ago, I couldn't even have got one into my blog! I don't think I could do the puddle thing though.

MamaGeek said...

The puddle shot is THEE staple shot for any scrapbook album. You nailed it Carolyn, it's beautiful - the shutter speed set perfectly.

"That's silly Mama! You can't be mad at the weather. It's not even a person!" - let's just say she's brilliant. :)

Thanks for playing PSF - this was awesome Carolyn!

Jenty said...

What a stunning shot!! She must've had a ball in the puddles!
Thanks for explaining what the camera was set to... I still have to figure out the settings on my camera.

Kimberly said...

Amazing shot!

And so glad you're feeling a wee bit better.

Cecily R said...

I love love LOVE this shot. THAT is reason alone not to be mad at the weather for an afternoon.

I am seriously PINING for your camera. Is that wrong?

So glad you are playing PSF with us again this week!!

Kaycie said...

I would have loved seeing her stomp through the puddles. Too cute. The picture is awesome.

Corey~living and loving said...

fun shot. :)
The settings for my swing shots were around 1/650 shutter speed, and a 5.6 ap. I had to keep the ap higher to ensure that as she was swinging, so wasn't moving too quickly out of the field of focus. KWIM? I think that has been my problem in the past.

carrie & troy keiser said...

Absolutely awesome shot. I wish I knew something Anything about photography. I can change all those settings, But I don't know why and when to do that..... dreaming of taking a class some day...

Suzanne said...

I'm so happy to hear you are feeling better. And I was just going to suggest that you get out and do some photography to make yourself feel better since I know what joy it brings you....and then I scroll down and see that delightful splash picture. You are so talented!

Let's see some more!

Jennifer H said...

That photo is amazing. You should just go up an down the street and take photos of other people's kids jumping in puddles and then sell them to the parents.

Or something.

Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Jen said...

What a fantastic shot! How I wish we lived closer together so I could get lessons from you! I love that you said exactly the setting you had your camera on though! PERFECT!

softinthehead said...

You and Csilla having a lot of fun together, and a great photo to remember it by, a priceless day :)

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

That's an awesome picture. I just love water pictures like this. Love them! And what a good mommy you are to tell her go go crazy.

And I love her mad at the weather comment. I'll have to remember that the next time it's 100+ and so humid you can't bear to walk out the door. ...but perhaps I shouldn't complain about hot since you are having record lows. Wishing all some happy mediums. :)

i am here to help said...

i hear that vancouver is one of the top ten places to live-in the world! but, bummer about the cold weather!

Nervus Rex said...

You almost make me consider a move to the West Coast!

I am in love with the Puddle Stomp. The walls of water and individual droplets are amazing! What fun!!! Caught perfectly, and brilliantly.

Hugs

Daryl said...

Really really cool shot ..



:-Daryl

beth said...

This is a great shot. And thanks for the technical info. I am working on getting to know my D70 better.

GoneBackSouth said...

Aaaah I love kids in wellies!

Jan said...

I looked at the sleeve, and that is really great. I looked at cameras this weekend. Mine is shot. Thanks for all your tips

Have a great week.

Chris Osborne said...

That's a great spread she made. I like how you captured the bowl like that.