Friday, July 4, 2008

actual photos of csilla. how exciting.

It's Friday again. Wow. Time flies. I've got a busy weekend ahead of me so I won't be on the computer much. I apologize in advance for not stopping by all of your blogs. I guess I have to be honest with myself and officially say that I am not a summertime blogger. When the sun is shining and the weather is warm, it seems just plain wrong to spend any time inside on the computer. Oh well. I refuse to feel guilty about how I'm neglecting all of my lovely blogging friends. You understand, right?

Tomorrow we're driving down to Point Roberts, Washington to visit my aunt and uncle. They are two of the nicest people on the planet and I can't wait to spend some time with them at the beach. It's going to be a great day. Can't wait!

On Sunday I'm getting together with one of my best friends for a maternity photo shoot. She's been kind enough to agree to let me take pictures of her big beautiful belly. It should be lots of fun. I'm both nervous and excited because I want the results to be amazing for her. Let's hope I can translate all of my photographic bright ideas into something worth putting in a frame on the mantel. Whatever the results I know I'll have lots of fun trying. Can't wait!

And now for something really exciting. Another Photostory Friday post, this time featuring actual photographs of Csilla.

Wow!!

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Yesterday Csilla and I took a walk to the park behind our house. It's kind of a crappy little park, but the swings are always fun and Csilla just loves to swing, so who cares if the jungle gym is lame.

Of course, play time for Csilla is always play time for Mama when I have my camera in hand. I've been trying to figure out how to do a cool technique with motion blur that my dad has successfully accomplished while shooting F1 car races and my brother has successfully accomplished while shooting cycling races. The idea is that you pan your camera with a long shutter speed while keeping your focus on the subject. The result is that the background is motion blurred, while your subject is not.

As Csilla swung back and forth I tried to do this, but as you can see from my results I was not exactly successful. Ideally, Csilla should be totally sharp. Oh well. Maybe it's easier with cars and bikes!!

(For the photo techie-types out there: Nikon D70s, 18mm-70mm lens, focal length 18mm, shutter priority, 1/6s, f/16, ISO 200.)

This next photo I took with my dad's "fisheye" lens. It's ultra-super-wide and makes everything look extra huge. I just love how it makes Csilla look all small and sweet in such a big big world. I know it doesn't look like it, but in actuality I was only about 2 feet behind Csilla. Maybe less. I know it looks like I was further, but the fisheye lens is so wide that it's hard to keep your own feet out of the shot. Anyway, it was sure fun to play with that lens. Thanks Dad!!

(Again, for the photo techie-types: Nikon D70s, 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens, aperture priority, 1/125s, f/3.5, ISO 200.)

That's it for now. I have laundry to do. Thanks for looking (and sorry these weren't actual face-forward photos of Csilla showing her off in all her cuteness and glory, but I'm protective like that!)

22 comments:

Jenty said...

Wow!
I love the idea of that fish lens.
And as for the motion shot, I think that's the best you're going to get with a child that doesn't only move in one direction (like a car does).

Daryl said...

Wonderful .. now ask to borrow his polarizing lens .. I think you will like what it can do to skies and through the glass shots ...

:-Daryl

ciara said...

very cool stuff...it makes me envious of all those who have something better than a regular ol' point n shoot. the techie stuff is beyond me LOL

thanks for the nice words on my blog. i appreciate it. :)

Kimberly said...

Wow...might not have been what you were going for, but I love that first shot of Csilla!

Jennifer H said...

Love the effect with the fish eye lens.

And Carolyn, my friend, we're bound to be at odds over blog visitation. Your summer outdoors is my summer indoors (it's too bloody hot here to be outside much). And when it's winter here, that's when we want to be outside. We're doomed.

Sigh.

Maggie May said...

They are both very impressive!

MamaGeek said...

Csilla is BEAUTIFUL in motion! And I so want a fish-eye, the next on my always growing hardware list. Happy 4th!

carrie & troy keiser said...

So cool! I really want to learn the hows and whys of photography. Thanks for sharing.

lisaschaos said...

Don't you just love the fisheye! I don't pull mine out often enough. Oh well.

Happy 4th!

PS - I take my computer outside with me. :)

Cecily R said...

That last shot is AMAZING!

Great PSF!!!

P.S. I know I am going to sound like a total idiot, but how do you pronounce Csilla?

Nervus Rex said...

I love the shot of little C in the big, wide green world!

GoneBackSouth said...

lovely pictures, I particularly like the one where she's zooming past at top speed.

Jen said...

I love these photos! The fish lens effect is really cool!! I love it!!! Great job as always Carolyn :)

Suzanne said...

I fully support getting out and about in the summertime in lieu of sitting inside at a computer! I've been doing the same....my goal is to do three posts per week and spend the rest of the week offline and hopefully enjoying the weather outside!

Jan said...

Love the pictures, and hope you are enjoying your family and friend.

You'll do great on her shots.

coastrat said...

Very nice shots! Have fun enjoying the outdoors!

Kaycie said...

I love the picture of Csilla in the big wide world. To quote you: awesome.

lingovise said...

love, love, love that fish eye lens shot! wowzers. uber awesome :)

& what could be cooler... a new lens to add to my bday wishlist! thanks a bunch!

Jacki said...

Great pictures!

CrazyCath said...

I love the fish eye lens! How cool is that? Brilliant. And the motion blur is almost there... I know what you mean. I like to experiment with this too. Need a "proper" slr to do it though...

Chris Osborne said...

I love the blurry one.

quilly said...

There is something up over at my place I think you'll want to see.