Wednesday, July 2, 2008

neener neener. bet you're all jealous of this one.

I must get to bed, but I didn't want to go another day without posting about a fun encounter I had this Canada Day long weekend... I met my first blogging friend in person. Or, should I say, I met a blogging friend in person for the first time?

Oh wait. Actually, I met one of my very first blogging friends for the first time and it was the first blogging friend I have ever met in person.

There. I think that explains it.

And guess who it was???

Here's part where you all get jealous.

Yes. I got to meet none other than the wonderful, witty and warm Kim from Temporary? Insanity.

Jealous? Thought so. Neener neener.

And guess what? She does not disappoint. In fact, Kim is even warmer and nicer in person than she is on her blog. I didn't think it was possible, but it's true. On Monday Csilla and I packed into the car and took a short drive to meet up with Kim and her sweet husband Neil and her two sweet daughters Emma and Becca. Are these people sweet or what?? Sweet.

It was a bit strange and exciting to meet a total stranger who doesn't feel like a total stranger. Strange. Exciting. Yay.

We went to a nearby water park where Emma and Becca played and frolicked like kids should, while Csilla cautiously observed and dipped her feet in the water a little bit. Csilla isn't too interested in the unpredictability of a water park. Especially with her fear of water firmly in place. She did however love the extended swing on the swing set courtesy of Neil. Did I mention he was sweet?

As for Kim and I, we sat in the shade trying not to melt. It was extremely hot on Monday and I think both of us were on the verge of passing out the whole time. Sadly, neither of us were at our best. Between the heat and the stress of trying to keep both eyes on our girls at a busy water park, it wasn't the most ideal of settings for a first-time get together. Not so smart on our parts. Duh.

In spite of all this, I loved meeting Kim. Did I already mention she was incredibly sweet? You know how some people just radiate warmth? Well that's Kim. And it wasn't just the temperature that day. We had a few good giggles and exposed the tip of the iceberg on a couple of conversations I'd love to fully explore in person again one day (minus the heat and the crazy screaming running and jumping water-soaked kids).

Did I mention Kim even brought a gift for Csilla? Huh? Is this girl for real? Somebody should have warned me. I didn't know gifts were involved in this whole meeting-a-blogging-friend-for-the-first-time thing. Anyway, I was only a little embarrassed for arriving empty-handed. Thanks Kim. No really. Thanks. Csilla loves the stuff you brought.

On the upside... did you know that THIS picture of Kim does not do her justice? Kim. You need to update that picture. It's nice, but just doesn't properly convey your warmth and beauty. At least smile your lovely smile for everyone to see!

(And yes, camera-happy Carolyn took pictures that day, but Kim conveniently ducked out of all of them before I could capture her loveliness on film. Grrrrrr.)

You know what else I noticed about Kim? She has the sweetest voice. It matches her warmth and kindness perfectly. I'm so happy I get to hear Kim's voice in my head when I read her posts now. I'm so lucky. Are you all jealous? Neener neener.

Anyway. I've got to go to bed. My life is usually so lame and boring that I never have anything to post about that could possibly make anyone jealous of me so when I do I insist on staying up too late to write about it.

Now tell me... are there any bloggers out there (other than me of course) whom you would love to meet in person? I'd love to know.

12 comments:

Jen said...

I'd love to meet you in person and pretty much all the people on my blogroll that I already don't personally know! I read them all daily. . . or pretty darn close! It sounds like you had a lovely day and now I best be getting over to Kim's blog as she sounds like a sweetheart! Hope you're able to get together again minus the heat and dripping kids :)

Random-MAJOR negative of being private. I read blogs I like now and feel like a TOTAL moron asking if someone wants to come read my blog. It's like, hey, you don't know me, but I swear you wanna come read my blog and be my friend. Really awkward. I'm always looking for more bloggy friends, but don't know how to go about inviting great blog writers out there that I come across to my LAME blog without looking like a bloody idiot. Anyways. Writing this I look like an idiot. Just my usual ramblings. Any suggestions? You have any other blogging friends that are private that have told you what they do to find more bloggy friends? I'm shutting up now really I am! Wait. . . one more thing. . . JK! Wow, I think I'm hilarious when really the only one laughing is myself. I'm pathetic :)

Jen said...

ignore the ramblings above. It's 1:30 in the morning and I had 3 hours sleep last night. What am I doing up? Who knows?! Staring blankly at the computer and leaving ridiculous comments, that's what! SHUT ME UP!

Daryl said...

You mean aside from you? OMG .. the list would be pretty long .. and actually naming names would start a war .. you know how popular I am ..


:-Daryl

Jan said...

Completely and utterly jealous. If I could have had both of you together. Oh my goodness. How fun. I pictures you both just carrying on. So glad that it worked out for that meeting.

I loved how you explained her. It was just wonderful. She does seem so warm and approachable. Alot like ummmm... you too..

Your title cracked me up Carolyn. So funny.

Take care. I am running late this morning. xxoo to you and Csilla.

J

Kimberly said...

I just cried. My post on the same subject seems so lame by comparison, but I refuse to feel lame. I'm going to spend my day on a massive ego high.

I might even get out of my pajamas!

You're the sweetest!

Kimberly said...

p.s. I just read Jen's comment and she's so cute - hee hee! Finding readers when you're private must be soooo hard!

charrette said...

Well, trying not to be jealous, because Kim is pretty much at the top of my list. And even more so now -- I LOVE the way you describe her here.

I do know the fabulous Brillig, who is just as witty and wonderful in person as she is online.

Lovely post.

Carmi said...

How cool that you got to meet a real live blogger! I've never crossed paths with my virtual friends in real life. I guess part of me is a little afraid of piercing that barrier. I'm a bit shy, in that regard: I can write and shoot and share all day on my blog, but I'm not the world's most comfortable person when I'm in person.

I know, I'm odd that way. And in so many other ways!

Saw your link on Ciara's site and followed it home. Nice to e-meet another Canadian!

coastrat said...

Sounds like you had a really neat day meeting Kim and her family at the water park! Life should always be so wonderful.

Jennifer H said...

You, among others. :-)

I won't even start a list here, for fear of leaving someone out of the top 10. Or top 50.

Hootin' Anni said...

How cool to meet in person or in other words the person you met is cool! No, that doesn't sound right at all.

I'm here from Jen's blog. She had a great entry describing you as hilarious...and I love hilarious. I could probably learn to love you and your blog too.

Have a great weekend.

quilly said...

The first blogging buddy I met in person caused me to quit my job (ten years of security) and move to an obscure Pacific Isle (okay, it's Oahu, but I can't let the facts spoil the story ...)

Anyway -- it's been a year now and we are still very happy together. And when we met it was not at all like strangers. Plus, we've never had any trouble communicating.

BUT -- that's not why I came here today. I'd better get to that -- only on your today's post, I think.