Tuesday, July 8, 2008

punk rock mommy.

I'm writing this post through tears, but I'll type anyway.

The lovely and courageous Andrea Collins Smith of Punk Rock Mommy lost her battle with cancer on July 5th.

Even though I did not know Andrea, I have come to admire her through her amazing blog. Andrea's husband and six beautiful children, along with countless friends and family who loved her, will undoubtedly miss her deeply. If you have ever read Andrea's blog, or recall her from this post I wrote a while ago, please stop by and offer your condolences. I'm sure it would mean a lot to Andrea's family to know what an amazing woman we all thought she was.

And.

I'm sorry if this seems crass, but I would also encourage any of you who are financially fortunate to leave a small (or large) donation for Andrea's family through the Pay Pal link here on her blog. Andrea's lovely husband Kelly was not able to work much as Andrea battled her cancer, so the family is in a difficult financial situation. All six kids will need to be put through college, while just a week ago Andrea worried if there was enough money to pay for her cremation. It's hard to think about, but this is their reality.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Cancer sucks.

15 comments:

Aoj & The Lurchers said...

That is very sad news indeed :(

Jan said...

I am with you about cancer. It is so mean. I am so very sorry to hear about this loss. What courage she had. She inspired many. Thanks for caring Carolyn.

Kaycie said...

So sorry to hear the bad news. I remember when you wrote about her previously. Thanks for letting us know.

Daryl said...

It sucks indeed ... its the killer that keeps on killing .. and I urge everyone who has breasts to do self checks ... schedule yearly mammo and/or sono if needed .. this is on exam you really must never put off!

:-Daryl

aims said...

Oh Carolyn! I feel like I've lost a friend!

I hate you Cancer! I hate you!

Jules said...

OMG!

I came by to tag you, but forget it now. My stuff is nothing compared to this.

Thank you so much for letting us know.......... and for caring. Cancer is a horrible, vicious killer.

Jen said...

I totally agree! Cancer sucks!!! I HATE IT! This story brings tears to my eyes!! I remember you writing about her awhile back and was inspired by her then and continue to be inspired by her now. I'm going to go hug my children a little tighter now.

Kimberly said...

One of the sad aspects of blogging is having so many more people to care about and sorrow over. So sorry you lost someone you'd felt so connected with.

debi said...

It is not crass. It is needed I am sure. I am sending what I can. More in the future. I wish we could all send a few $. It was so sad she had to worry about money those last few days. How sweet of you to put that out there. Great post. So sad.

quilly said...

I followed the link and I read for probably two hours. I had never visited Andrea's site before today, but now I am mourning her as well. The world lost a strong, bright spirit.

MamaGeek said...

I know. I cried when I read her last post and then Kelly's. So sad. So tragic.

You're right. Cancer SUX.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

I found out yesterday through another blog that I just happened to visit. Deeply sad that such a young mum should lose her life and that the children have lost her far too early. I have lost family and close friends to cancer - it is always deeply shocking, especially if it is a premature death. I hope the massive support they had continues for her husband Kelly as he will surely need it.

coastrat said...

This is so very sad... So sorry that you have lost a friend. I have several friends who are battling cancer, and it really does suck.

Suzanne said...

thank you for honoring her here and bringing her to our attention. what an amazing person.

i am here to help said...

Wow, it totally sucks. We just lost a great lady to it last week and it makes me sick. Another good friend is battling with it right now. It seems seriously unfair. Part of me wishes only "bad" people would lose the cancer fight, the good ones get to live! But alas, who am I to judge-it just doesn't feel very good does it.

My heart goes out to her family.