Friday, September 19, 2008

number nine. the big tease is over.

PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

Okay. So according to the sprinkling of comments I received on my last post it turns out that some of you remember me. What a relief. I thought I was going to have to start at square one again with this blog...

Thanks. I've missed you all!

Remember a while ago (before I went to Hungary) I mentioned something that was keeping me very busy? I eluded to it here and teased you about it again here?

Well, I'm thinking my "big number nine announcement" would make for the perfect Photostory Friday post.

So here goes.

I decided to start my own photography business.

Yes.

Crazy I know, because what I know about photography I could fit in a thimble. And crazy I know because I'm not the first best (or even the second best) photographer in my immediate family. And crazy I know because I only got my first DSLR less than a year ago and before that I didn't know much about photography at all. I know, I know.

Crazy I know.

But since I love photography as much as I do and friends keep telling me I should have people to pay me to do what I love (as much as I do) then I got to thinking, "What's the worst that can happen?"

Well, let's see...

I could forget to bring a spare battery and stand in front of my client like an idiot, totally unable to take a single photo. Or, I could get so confused by all of the technical aspects of photography that I completely forget how to relax and enjoy the process. Or, I could get so nervous that my clients see right though all of my inexperience and refuse to pay me...

In other words, I could fail miserably; screwing up people's precious and irretrievable memories.

Urp.

I know, I know. These things could happen, but luckily, none of these things have happened so far. Congratulations to me! (Did I have you worried that those things had actually happened?)

I've already been on several shoots with friends (some of whom have actually paid me!) and all of them worked out beautifully. In fact, I'm really proud of my work so far and I'm ready to share it with all of you.

So without further ado... click the banner below to see why I've been too busy to blog lately (notwithstanding a three-week trip to Hungary, about which I will hopefully post this weekend).

Oh. And as far as Photostory Friday goes... you will find actual photos here:


Hope you like what you see!

23 comments:

MamaGeek said...

Carolyn, you're back. YAY. Dude, you've been missed. REALLY MISSED.

I am so excited for you! I know you will succeed because you have the passion to. Risk = reward. I've only sold stock and donated shoots to date but maybe *some day* I'll be brave enough too.

LOVE the montage. Professional!

ped crossing said...

It is great to love what you do. You have the candid thing down. :)

Tiaras & Tantrums said...

love the name of your bus!!

Kaycie said...

Cool. What a great idea, Carolyn. I think you'll be fab!

aims said...

Woohoo! You're back and at it!

Great pics - you go girl!

Cecily R said...

Good for you. I am jealous JEALOUS about your new endeavor. Your photos are wonderful!

Glad you're back!

Kelli @ Gohn Crazy said...

I would hire you in a second. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS pictures! Good luck with your business. I have a feeling you will be a huge success!

And welcome back! I was so happy to see an update from you! :)

ciara said...

it's always good to do something you love and get paid for it :) i looked through the photos...very nice. i think your biz is off to a great start.

i know you can appreciate other photographers so i thought i'd share this blog w you..her name is kiera
http://peaceandpandemonium.blogspot.com
tell me what you think of it. someone that was a 'buzz'er (cre8buzz.com) w me turned me on to her blog.

beth said...

How exciting to be doing what you love! I would hire you in a minute if you lived in Mass.

Jeanette said...

i really really like what you've done!! I'm trying to do the same thing, but I've yet to get some clients :)

Corey~living and loving said...

Welcome home. :) and as you know....I think your business will be wonderful. :)

Jennifer H said...

You're back you're back you're back!

I'm so glad the photography business is going well...makes me so happy to hear it.

avtcoach said...

I did visit you photo site and love the look. Those family photos are amazing. Keep it up!! and have faith!

softinthehead said...

Congratulations - no holding you back now - great stuff

Irene said...

That is awesome! WAY to go!!! I actually have been thinking of doing the same thing. But I feel the same way you do about my ability - not quite sure if I am good enough. I am doing an engagement shot for some friends in the next few weeks. Even though they just want simple shots for the newspaper, I am also planning on taking some more creative ones. Hopefully, I will get some great experience, and they will get some great free shots! Who knows where this may lead!

Good luck! You take wonderful shots, I am sure you will be very successful!

Maggie May said...

Yes... I remember you!!!!!! Miss your smiley disposition!
You are an excellent photographer and it is a brilliant idea! Go for it!

Suzanne said...

Fantastic news!!!! I am so very proud of you for taking the leap and following your dream, I know it's going to be great and will take you down new and exciting paths!

And welcome back, we've missed you!

Jen said...

Carolyn! You never cease to amaze me! You are incredibly talented! So good to see you back!

BTW- come live by me! I'd hire you in an instant!

coastrat said...

Good for you! I wish you lots of success in your new venture!

Chris said...

I really hope this works out for you.
What I see here is spectacular!
Good Luck.

Hilary said...

What a wonderful and gutsy endeavor. And you're doing such a fine job of it. I wish you every success.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Congrats for taking the big step!

Kimberly said...

I thought that was what it was! Of course, I got more than a hint when I saw you this summer. So excited for you! Your talent, and your heart, are just shining through!