Friday, September 26, 2008

sour cream coffee cake recipe.

The Sour Cream Coffee Cake that my mom made for my birthday this morning is one of my all-time favourite things, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you all - especially you, Jen, because you LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee cake. LOVE IT! Well, so do I so here it is:

SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE

INGREDIENTS

Cake:
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder

Topping:
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease and line with wax paper an 8x8 inch cake tin. In a mixer, cream butter, sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. In another bowl, combine baking soda and sour cream. Whip until fluffy. In a third bowl, mix sifted dry ingredients together.

Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream mixture to the butter/sugar/egg mixture and blend until smooth. Spread half of the batter in the cake tin. Sprinkle with half topping, cover with remaining batter, then sprinkle with remaining half of the topping.

Bake 45-50 minutes. Don't over do it, or the cake will dry out!

SERVINGS

Makes 9 large squares.

(Ironically I like to eat my coffee cake with milk, not coffee.)

6 comments:

Jen said...

WOW Carolyn! You're the BEST EVER!!!! I truly owe you big time now. HONESTLY, you email me your address and I'll make up some sweet good mail for ya! Thanks so much! I'm totally gonna make this!!!

Leslie F. Miller said...

Welcome to my world, cake-loving Libra. I wrote a book about cake for Simon & Schuster that's coming out in April. It's about eating cake rather than making it, but there's a recipe for my Jewish grandmother's sour cream cake that looks mighty similar. It's made in a Bundt pan, and I always go overboard on the cinnamon sugar. It's my way of making up for a lack of frosting.

Happy birthday. Mine's the 8th.

softinthehead said...

OOoh lovely, I think I have almost all those ingredients. Coffee cake here I come : ) Thanks

Jan said...

It's a no fail with all those ingredients. The only fail, would be on my hips. But it looks worth it. :) Love new recipes.

Kaycie said...

This is identical to my sour cream coffee cake recipe. I've used this recipe my entire adult life. My absolute favorite!

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I missed your birthday!!!

Carolyn I am so sorry :(

A very happy belated birthday for yesterday!!